View Single Post
Old 21-01-2004, 20:10   #48
Darby

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
My late mother was born in Church and her working days were spent at steiners my grandfather was groomsman to the steiner familyalso among his duties was bellringing at church kirk and for his loyalty and service when he retired he was given one of the one up one down almhouses facing the queens hotel I remember going in the green grocers across the road owned then by a family called caple later in life I became friendly with there son kenneth who became a inspector with the manchester police force and was involved in the moors murders for which he got a commendation my mothers family were called Parr she had two brothers Wilf and Jack who unfortunely died in his twenties and one sister
Small world and Church is even smaller.

I have a picture of my Granddad who was an electrician at Steiners at the turn of the 19/20th century. My mum once worked there in the 50's in the calico dept., and I use to wait for her to finish work at the end of the entrance at the bottom of Dill Hall.

I remember the almhouses opposite to the Queens Pub, it seemed a real pity to pull them down as they use to be kept ever so neat and smart. I didn't know that they were linked to Steiners.

Didn't know the Capel family, but I spent a lot of time in Church when I was a kid. Did you know the Houston Family...Bert his wife Mary and their kids Dave and Ann?? I'm sure they lived a bit further up Church Kirk Road near the Cross Guns. I still see Dave occasionally.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote