View Single Post
Old 16-09-2007, 15:21   #2
WillowTheWhisp
Resident Waffler

Re: 10 not-so-great things about the 1950s

1.When I was little we didn't have a bathroom or inside loo. It wasn't a long drop but it was outside in the yard. We didn't have central heating for years, well fast the 50s! I remember getting our first telly and thinking it was wonderful. I even used to watch the test card and loved that disappearing dot after the epilogue!!!

3. Maybe that was how the British learned to queue. It really frustrates me nowadays when I have queued in and orderly fashion for something and other people just come along and push in at the front and expect to get served/get on the bus etc. Sweets being rare wouldn't be a bad thing nowadays!

4. Oh I remember fog when you couldn't see your hand in front of your face and just groping my way along, with a scarf over my mouth. I only ever remember them being yellow around Blythes though.

6. You're lucky Margaret it was only your frog fell down an air raid shelter. I fell down one and injured both of my knees! They still give me gyp.

9. Oh yes I remember the upstairs of buses all thick with smoke. Half of me used to like to go up top to get a better view (and pretend to be driving the bus!) and the other half of me hated the smoke.

10. I remember when an unmarried mother was something talked about in whispers. Sometimes a baby would be passed off as the youngest child of the mother and never know that the 'big sister' was really their Mum.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote