View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 01:15   #2
blazey
God Member

Re: Washing machines 1901

[quote=Robindad;488430]My grandfather John KING was in Bold Street Accrington in1901
His occupation then and at his death in 1925 (Garden Street Accrington) was
'roller turner' Iron Works Domestic and (washing machine)

Does anyone know which works this would have been?

And what was he doing?

Also What sort of domestic washing machines were there in1901?

Robin

Dont know anything about the place but I did a bit of quick research and the first electric powered washing machine was invented in 1908 named Mighty Thor, but there was a type known as the rotary washing machine made a few decades earlier.

Rotary Washing Machine

In 1858, Hamilton Smith patented the rotary washing machine.
In 1874, William Blackstone of Indiana built a birthday present for his wife. It was a machine which removed and washed away dirt from clothes. The first washing machines designed for convenient use in the home.

This was most likely the type of washing device he used for most of his career, as I am assuming the first washing machines of this sort where owned by richer people, though I suppose a factory may have had some towards the latter years of his career if it had the money for it.

Anyway thats about domestic, but I'm guessing that if he worked at an iron works then they where more likely to be those roller things that u rolled ur item through and it squeezes the moisture out of them, seems ore apt for the work description anyway. I am sure you could find out alot at the library though if your very keen to know. I just thought it'd be nice to try do a bit of research on them, but im only 18 so i'm no local historian!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote