View Single Post
Old 24-02-2008, 16:01   #54
andrewb
God Member

Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Living stones? Never heard of them but I know a man who has. They used to call him Jeeves and he came up with http://seedrack.com/06.html

“Living stone plants (Lithops species) are native to South Africa, where they grow among rocks or soil the same color as their two succulent leaves. Lithops are succulents (meaning they store water in their fleshy leaves) but are not related to cacti. Living stones are small plants, often only 1/2" to 1" in diameter. From Fall to Spring, the plants need NO WATER at all. And very little water is needed in the Summer. Too much water can kill the plants. Yellow or white flowers appear towards the end of the growing season. Generally grown as houseplants. The tiny seeds usually germinate in just 3 to 14 days.”

At $3.84 for a packet of 100 seeds it seems like good value.

I notice that you appear to be growing candles. Very exotic!

Donkeys years ago I had what I knew as the “Humble Tumble Plant”. If you touched a leaf near the top it would fold and sag and in doing so would touch another leaf which in turn it would ……. much to the amusement of the kids.

After a few hours it would recover ready to tumble again.
Haha I hadn't noticed the labels look like candles.

I want one of the tumbler plants, but I think I'll have to wait until I get a house next year. The uni accommodation doesn't really have enough room near light to cope with more plants.

The little water thing is rather good, means I won't kill it if I forget to water it Apparently they're incredibly good at absorbing water, because of the hot African climate. This must be why they die if you water them too much!