View Single Post
Old 25-02-2008, 12:53   #61
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Just an observation, JB. If there's going to be no lawn it might be an idea to put a couple of pathways across (paving stones, gravel or even bark chippings) so you can get to different parts without treading on plants. You may want to pull out things like thistles and nettles which may come up with the other stuff. On the other hand - if you don't mind them - thistles get lovely purple flowers and nettles attract butterflies (don't ask me which ones).
Once all or most of the grass has been nuked anything that comes up will be allowed to grow and flourish.

Thanks for the reminder but I had pondered the problem of getting around my garden without crushing seedlings. I considered learning the art of levitation so that I could float around. Nah! That’s just silly! The other alternative would be to install a Breecher’s Buoy from corner to corner but that wouldn’t be very practical. The thought struck me that maybe I could train “Stumpy” the squirrel to do the odd foray around tidying up. I would pay it handsomely.

Sadly “Stumpy” is no more. The squirrel that I saw this morning had two fully formed front legs (or should that be paws?) and it seemed to be a bit larger than “Stumpy”. Was it Mr or Mrs “Stumpy” or maybe son or daughter of “Stumpy”? Or was it an interloper? Who knows? But it had a dig around for a while, found something and scampered off up the fence, launched itself into space, landed nimbly on the trunk of a nearby tree and disappeared in the branches above, taking its spoils with it.

Note to self – must get some peanuts in their shells so that one day I can take a picture of it. Thinks! Stretch rope across the garden and dangle the peanuts from it, sit back and wait for the squirrel to display its foraging talents.

But back to pathways. I think that I will let nature decide where I will be able to walk. There are bound to be bare patches that could be turned into a path. Otherwise the plan was to allow a path to develop either side of the “V”.