View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 21:00   #31
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Hyndburn's Honeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just wondered, as a fella' like, if they did set up a Hyndburn Hunks, would you comment ? Probably no men would vote. Think may be most men would be afraid to admit they had been looking at their own sex in a physical way. ('cept Garinda of course .. sos hun x) Just curious.
I think you're a bit out of touch hun.

Go to any newsagents and you'll see that there is a glut of men's magazines, from the lads mags like Loaded and FHM, to the health and fitness mags, such as Men's Fitness and Men's Health, that are aimed primarily at straight men, and which are filled with the toned and chiselled bodies their readers apparently aspire to, and I suppose obviously like looking at, if only to wish they had the same six pack, instead of their beer induced paunch.

Incidentally, with the massive rise of these magazines over the last ten years, there has also been a worrying increase in young men who suffer from eating disorders, as well as other clinical disorders such as Body Morphic Disorder. It's reported that there was a 90% increase in male eating disorders between 2003/4 and 2005/6 in the U.K.

There is no definite evidence the two things linked, just as there is no evidence size zero fashion models leads to girls developing eating disorders, but in a media that is obsessed with the body beautiful, there is mounting concern that the two things are intrinsically connected.

Although I don't have a problem with the Hyndburn Honeys, I agree with Gayle about it being an easy way to fill newspaper space, but I suppose the same criticism could be levelled at every competition, and there are many, they hold throughout the year in the Observer.

As for myself, being a nosey git, I'll look at anyone, regardless of gender, but always return to my first love...the mirror.

Last edited by garinda; 05-04-2008 at 21:04.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web