Thread: Ozzie Clark
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2004, 23:00   #5
Atarah
Senior Member+

Ozzie Clark - more info.

A book has been written about Ossie Clark who is classed as being one of the most influential British fasion designers of the 60's and 70's. An exhibition of his work has just finished at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. It featured more than 60 garments, along with sketchbooks and photographs.
He was a well known figure in the world of photographers, designers, rock stars and other celebrities. Many famous people wore his creations including Marianne Faithfull, Jimi Hendrix, Patti Boyd. He created jumpsuits for Mick Jagger, silk dresses for Bianca Jagger and dressed Eartha Kitt in snakeskin! Liz Taylor,Brigite Bardot, Eric Clapton, George Harrison and Andy Warhol also wore his clothing.

Famous models of the time modelled his clothes i.e. Twiggy, Jean Shrimpton whilst famous photographers took the photo i.e. David Bailey. From the maxi skirt to the "nude" look and the trouser suit, Clark's designs set new trends. He also worked well with his wife, textile and interior designer Celia Birtwell. She created beautifully printed fabrics, he created superbly cut clothes, they made a good team! They had two sons, Albert and George.

His mass produced clothes became "affordable" to the ordinary person

I think there is an exhibition on now until November at the Museum of Bath
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote