View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 17:32   #104
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Doesn't the school's responsibility start when the school day starts? Perhaps it is part of the teacher's duty to track down elusive pupils who should have been in school at that time of day. Why do you use the word "avenging" to describe a truant officer? Aren't they just doing their job and ensuring that children are where they should be? What would you suggest a truant officer should do if they find schoolchildren in a butty shop when they should be in school?

I don't know who the particular teacher was but I do know that some teachers (head/deputy head/head of year etc) have far more responsibilities than simply teaching lessons.
Yes it does but only at the school gate. The only time that a teacher has responsibilities outside the school gate is on an official trip away from school or when walking the pupils from one school to another. Although from what I can gather if the class has to go to a different school for a particular lesson, this is usually done during the dinner hour unsupervised.

Some schools are reluctant to phone the parents of a pupil that hasn’t turned up for school to ask where that pupil is. And why should they? Indeed some head teachers have been heard to state that it is not their job to chase up missing pupils. It is the parents’ responsibility to ensure that their kids go to school and not the schools to make sure that they get there.

If there is such a thing as a Truant Officer these days then it is that officer’s job to apprehend any school child that he sees not in school. Whether s/he can forcibly march them there is debatable.

Anyone bursting into a shop demanding that the pupils should be at school can legitimately be described as an “avenging” somebody. In any case I wasn’t describing a Truant Officer as avenging, I was comparing a teacher to an avenging Truant Officer.