View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 18:11   #116
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
You've lost me on that one.

I remember way back at the dawn of time when I was a pupil at the Accrington High School For Girls, Mabel B. Horne made it very clear that when we were wearing the school uniform we were representing the school. That included on the way to and on the way home from that school. At such times if we were seen by a teacher not to be wearing a tie, or beret (later corduroy cap) or to be behaving in what was deemed to be an unseemly manner said teacher would give us a very sharp piece of her mind.

If we had dared to respond in anything other than a co-operative manner we would have been queuing up outside the head's office next morning trembling in our regulation neatly laced up black school shoes.
Yes indeed your uniform was representing the school, as was mine, and misbehaviour would reflect badly on the school but no teacher had the authority to make a pupil put his hat or tie on whilst on the way home. But we didn’t know that they were just assuming an authority, so we obeyed. To put it bluntly we were lied to.

School have never had any authority over the pupils outside of the school except as I have already explained.

Many of my teachers went to and from school on the same bus that the pupils did and thus the pupils behaved themselves. But the teacher had no authority to supervise the pupils. But then we didn’t know that, and we did have respect for the teacher’s authority. It was the conductor and ultimately the driver who ensured good behaviour on the bus.