View Single Post
Old 15-07-2008, 10:22   #90
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Thatcher to get State funeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I agree that she what she did was certainly not all for the good, but she didnt sit on her backsided, she did something and everything she did was done with conviction and, in her mind, for the greater good.
Her politics were motivated by pure conviction, not like so many oof todays politician who dont seem to have a belief in their whole body

Footnote: I have just thought of something Maggie did and for which I shall be eternally grateful to her - she abolished free school milk, such a relief to an 8 year old
Following your own convictions regardless of whether they are right or wrong is not an attribute that I can warm to. Blair did it and so is Brown now.

I appreciate that many kids do not like milk but equally many do. Milk, as so many mothers will tell you, is full of calcium that is essential to help build strong teeth and bones. I accept that there are other sources of calcium but those sources too were abhorrent to many kids. So by abolishing free school milk she was denying the kids a source of calcium that they may not have got at home.

Was it compulsory to drink milk at school?

It wasn’t during my time at school but then that was well before the Maggie era. Those of us who liked milk were glad of the extra that the “none milk likers” didn’t drink.