View Single Post
Old 26-07-2008, 21:02   #10
West Ender
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: I know now why we're in the middle of a recession...

It must depend on the item you want to buy as well as where you go. I'm looking to have a new bathroom suite installed (it means all re-tiling etc.) and I want a new(ish) car.

Sainsbury's Home Base nearly fell over themselves to show off all their bathroom suites but lost out when I said I wanted them to plan it and do everything while I just - watched. They don't supply that service. B & Q do! The salesman was champing at the bit to get out here with his laptop for a free survey and planning service.

Polar Ford didn't have what I wanted - I'm going for yet another 5 door Fiesta, not brand new but less than 18 months old. It was almost a case of, "We'll have the coffee on next time you call", and for a humble Fiesta I thought that was pretty good going.

I think one problem with Comet, who I've used a fair bit in the past, is they don't train their staff on specific products. You can sometimes get lucky with an assistant who has learned a fair bit about some items but, on the whole, they just read what's on the manual.