View Single Post
Old 30-07-2008, 09:05   #16
MikeSz

Re: Is killing an abusive partner murder?

Murder in a simplistic sense encompasses the intentional killing of another person. Intent is the key and it is a requirement for the prosecution to show the offending party intended to kill. This covers spare of the moment crimes/crimes of passion. Those elements that drove you to the act are at best mitigation - if there is an intent to kill, then the offence is murder.

Of course its never that clear cut and a court have to decide beyond all reasonable doubt that the person charged had that intent. If someone lashes out at another with no intention of killing them, and the attacked person dies then the offence becomes manslaughter as the offending party has killed though had no intent.

On the subject of spousal abuse – then clearly under the traditional legal system any person who has killed another will usually fall into one of the two offences above. Im not even going to pretend to understand what its like to be involved in spousal abuse as im sure it’s a lot more complicated than my own narrow interpretations – suffice to say, that it certainly wouldn’t happen to me – I’m not the sort who would be bullied about, if for no other reason that I’m independent and would simply remove myself from the situation. Of course I realise that its far more complicated than that for some of those involved and not everyone can pick themselves up by their bootstraps though I believe it’s a mistake to start legislating the issue – the law should be strict and clear. Any deviation from this must surely attract an abuse of the system. The mechanisms for dealing with prevention are already well established and should be improved so that it’s impossible to be left on your own should you be a sufferer – at that point there is no need for legislation. In my views these sorts of issues should always be addressed by culture emphasis or framework changes and not through legislation which can only lead to the problem being hidden away or obfuscated.

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web