View Single Post
Old 31-07-2008, 16:13   #12
Eric
God Member

Re: comunismn V capitalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Theoretical communism is undoubtedly the fairest system - i.e. everyone is equal, earns equal pay and is treated equally - however, it's not in the least bit practical. Without some capitalism companies/individuals don't have the initiative to make money.

Also, clearly some people (whatever job they do) work harder than others. Communism can in some quarters encourage laziness i.e. I'll get paid the same as you whether I work as hard or not!

There has to be some incentive for people to want to work and for people to want to improve their lives - better pay, working conditions, bonuses etc.

However, you're right - Capitalism can be very destructive. Companies developing the best product for the lowest price means low wages for employees and no one wants to be exploited.

I think a balance is ideal - capitalism with some government controls - i.e. the stopping of monopolies etc. It's not too bad in the UK but I suspect there are many other countries around the world that have it better balanced.
Gayle .... you sound like a good old fashioned Canadian Liberal
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote