Thread: Rules???
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2004, 16:28   #13
Tealeaf
God Member

Re: Rules???

Hi John,

Non league games normally ain't shown on telly....but since Sky have outbid terrestrial for the Premiership, BBC & ITV have more or less had to make do with highlights, or the lower divisions for live games. The Stanley v Huddersfield game was chosen because someone at the BBC smelt an upset...anyway, Stanley got 50 thou out of it....

Right, Accy Stan.....you say Accy is famous for Stanley & for Nori bricks and nowt else. Well, I've lived away for 30 years and you're quite right - when you say you're from Accy, the reply is Stanley! - but it is a reply accompanied by a big grin, because like it or not, it's regarded as a joke. I always attempt to point out the error of this sentiment, sometimes successfully, sometimes not (some people I've met actually think the name is a fiction, made up for the milk advert)....but that's just in the UK.

Outside of the UK, of all the people I've met (non-British) who've heard of Accy, then these appear to be the main reasons:

Howard & Bulloughs (Asia)

Tiffany Glass (USA)

Pals (Australia)

So please don't delude yourself about the fame of Accy Stanley - in the UK, yes - but only then because of glorious failure.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote