Thread: Ghosting
View Single Post
Old 14-09-2008, 17:32   #1
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Ghosting

I was playing around with my Sony DCR-SR32E camcorder the other day familiarising myself with it when I noticed something odd.

Unintentionally I had pointed it at my TV, which was on, and the picture in the view screen had a ghosted band across the picture. Sometimes near the top, sometimes near the bottom or part way between or not at all for a few seconds or just slowly moving up and down.

Pointing the camcorder at my computer monitor did not result in that ghosted band. I should add that my computer monitor is an LCD screen, whereas the TV is a CRT type.

I can take a photo of the picture on the TV screen with my digital still camera without that ghosted band appearing so what’s going on?

Is this something that the manufacturers of camcorders have done to prevent people from ‘recording’ films/programmes on TV? I can place my camcorder on a tripod and adjust it so that it films just the screen, so it could be done in theory.