View Single Post
Old 20-06-2004, 06:48   #2
lettie
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Holiday Postcards

Cala en Porter, Menorca.

Nice island is Menorca, fairly quiet but definately geared up for children. Unable to get my usual flight to Athens and off to an island, I settled for a late deal here. There are kids everywhere you look, all the restaurants and amenities have ramps at the entrances to enable prams and buggies to be pushed into them. Unfortunately the ramps are very steep and not suitable for wheelchairs. Situated on a cliff top it's quite a steep walk to the beach. There are 174 steps cut into the cliff that you can use to access the beach, or a steep winding road, which does take a little longer. This place is unsuitable for people with walking difficulties. A good choice of restaurants, but they all have the additional "Chicken Nugget" menu attatched to the main menu. Ketchup and HP Sauce on every table and those horrible excuses for chips made famous by Mc D's known as fries. I did manage to find a rather seedy looking in need of decorating restaurant, which had no kids running round knocking into your table. On the picture, it is just behind the couple crossing the road, and up some steps (no ramp, yippee!!) The food here was top notch, do not let the appearance of this restaurant fool you.
The weather was unusually dodgy. Thunder storms on sunday and tuesday, accompanied by torrential rain. Menorca is a very windy island, when you hit the beach here you are literally sandblasted. I had to hire a JCB to dig the sand out of my Natal Cleft. Thursday and Friday were boiling hot, way to hot for me to sit in the sun, being a fair skin. I have no sunburn, just wind burn..

On the whole, a nice place if you have kids. If you are thinking of having kids, but can't make up your mind come to Cala en Porter for a week. The constant screeching, tantrums and "can I, can I, can I" will definately help you make up your mind...

Back to the Saronics next year for me..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Menorca 003.jpg (32.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Menorca 005.jpg (34.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Menorca 006.jpg (41.4 KB, 55 views)

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote