View Single Post
Old 25-10-2008, 08:21   #1
ROUGHLEE

Wink Roughlee Nursing Home Accrington

Just joined yesterday evening. I was born in Roughlee Nursing Home in 1941, and then lived at 32 Burnley Lane Huncoat until just before the end of the war. My earliest childhood memories are feeding hens in the back garden with my father. My job was to feed the blind hen from a bucket of slop. I have memories of quarry buckets travelling on overhead wires, and a small iron railed grassed memorial garden within walking distance of Burnley Lane. My mother pushed me to my grandparents who lived at 22 Station Road for me to have a tuppa tea with my Nan. One day, my mother couldn't find me and searched everywhere. I was eventually found sitting on a door step with one Amy Bracewell eating beetroot and baked potato. I came home with fleas! Sorry Amy if you're still around. I wore clogs and used to tap dance on the stone kitchen floor. The roof leaked. My parents returned to Liverpool before 1945, because I have a photograph of me at a VE day street party in Liverpool. I remember, in Liverpool, having the mickey taken whenever I used the expression "Give Over!"

I believe Roughlee was demolished. Anyone have any photos of Roughlee?
Does 32 Burnley Lane Huncoat exist? Any photos ? Am working hard on a mammoth family ancestry project at the moment. Any help would be very very gratefully appreciated. I now live in South Oxfordshire

Best wishes to all
ROUGHLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web