View Single Post
Old 20-11-2008, 12:19   #8
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Speeding clamp down

It seems that if anyone is more than 20 mph over the speed limit it will qualify for 6 points as well as any fine.

On the face of it that seems reasonable to have a tariff. But it should go the whole hog and add plus 40 mph or more for 12 points.

Then there is the point that 40 mph is much more dangerous in a 20 mph zone than 90 mph on the motorway. Indeed 30 mph in a 20 mph zone could prove lethal especially in Autumn and when it is wet or misty, not forgetting parked cars.

However you do not get a warning that a speed limit is going to change some distance ahead. You find out as you approach the sign. So it is possible to arrive at a 30 mph limit from a legal 60 mph limit.

By law we are only required to be able to read a car number plate at a distance of some 20 metres. There is nothing in the Highway Code that I can find that states anything about reading road signs so in the absence of such information I should imagine that the number plate reading law would apply to reading road signs.

The question is can a car slow from 60 mph to 30 mph safely within 20 metres?

I think that this is yet another crackpot idea from a Labour government who has lost the plot completely.