View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 23:26   #66
maccawozzagod
God Member

Re: Please Read; The Seats The Facts!!

selling merchandise to the fans is killing the sport?

thats what I mean, things like team posters for the kids to 'decorate' their rooms, celebratory t-shirts, mugs etc. Wherever I have worked I am 'the Stanley fan' it is my duty to use a Stanley mug to reiterate that fact - not just one style but a variety. Scarves - we tend to have that lasts for three or four seasons possibly because we charge a little dearly (and I'm not interested in other clubs might charge the same). Charge less and sell more, re-coup the 'loss' on higher turnover by changing it every year. Badges - they sell so get em in. We did well on the kit style badge and should do that every year. Order in a small quantity and when they are gone they're gone - create a must buy it quickly mentality. Thats not killing football - it re-inforces ones passion for a club to have knick-knacks around the house. I'd have a team photo up at work but I can't buy one from the shop and I should be able to walk in and pick up an A4 framed picture for about £6. There are no-marks on ebay selling old pictures that they have scanned from books - why can't we? oops I'm rambling now but there are three sets of fans;

1) existing fans - above all else look after them. You've already got em hooked so don't let them go. Fleece them of whatever money you can for things they want - but don't overcharge them for what they must have. ie tickets and club colours

2) ex-fans - used to be existing fans but for whatever reason felt they could wander away/weren't being looked after

3) fans of the future - very important to look to the future but you can not rely on what might be to come.

My point about getting more money out of those that do go is that a fan spends a certain amount of money practically every game. I usually spend £10 on fags, £25 on booze £3.50 on food then my admission. The club can't get my fag money but they could get my booze money, they could get my food money. Identify what people spend their money on at football and then try to get it. Multiply by a hundred people then multiply by 23 home games. That certainly wouldn't kill football at our level but could only enhance it.