View Single Post
Old 29-01-2009, 10:56   #101
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Recession List 2009!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
We'd be totally screwed up if Joneses mob were in charge then wouldn't we, the nearest thing to a businessman they've had in recent years was a bloke who ran a chip shop,
I was happily living in Tory Wandsworth the last time Hyndburn had a Labour run council.

Though I do recall hearing a lot of grumbling about that council's performance.

My comments aren't aimed at any one political party, but the caliber of people who become councillors, and not just here in Hyndburn.

I stand by my comment that you do find people with very little economic or business experience, suddenly in charge of very large budgets, and making very important and long ranging decisions about an area's future.

The people who carry out the policies of any council, the finance department, planning etc., are expected to have the relevant qualifications and experience to do those jobs.

It just seems odd that the people actually pulling the strings might not have the ability to run a church Tombola, that I gave earlier as an example.

This is an observation that I've come to after having lived in four differing boroughs, irrespective of which party was in power.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote