View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 23:20   #13
***Mr D***
Senior Member+

Re: The cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
wow MR D, you only pay £16.14 a month for your water?

your lucky, mine is £30 a month, £300 a year
£30 a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Start cutting down on the luxuries. Get rid of the TV then you don't need a licence or Sky. Sell the kids off and that cuts out School clubs, and for good measure give up food, it's bad for you
Good advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
eleccy at 82 seems high for a normal household?

similarly gas.

I now pay 120/month for both in a large 3/4 bed semi dormer bungalow with non energy bulbs, a washer that I'm sure is on constantly and a gas fire that I'm sure is like an open pipe on fire from the gas co. !
It includes built up arrears over the years I had been on estimated readings.

The above was the new rate I was told today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
you don't mention if you get any help with rent/council tax etc which if you are on low income you should.
I get just over £10.00 per week from Tax Credits and only started claiming this when they sent me a bill for £1000 (Ill let them pay themselves back), due to overpayments 3 years ago, this was my mistake I should of started claiming earlier but didnt bother.

I wouldnt class myself as low income, just not great, most of it my fault as I like to have luxeries which has resulted in debts, but I see it as why not I have worked for the past 17 years (11 at my current job) I should have things I want, other wise why work at all.

My reason for the post was to see how others found it as the cost of just general living is IMO a costly thing

I feel for people on the minimum wage of £5.73ph x 39hrs, bring home around £190/£200? must think why bother working. when benefits is roughtly £160/£170? (Inc free rent & Rates).