View Single Post
Old 13-02-2009, 19:33   #108
claytonender

Re: Anyone made a secret Freedom Of Info request about me ? Andrew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I can see the chaos that would ensue. Councillors on this very forum cannot even get their facts right. I imagine you would use it as an opportunity to try and trip the Conservatives up, as usual, rather than working with them. Do you think the public should be able to go into Gordon Browns cabinet meetings? No, we have representatives for a reason. All of whom can be e-mailed. You can even freedom of information request on them.
Your reply is very interesting, I have spoken to Councillors on other councils, where they do allow questions from the public at Cabinet meetings, and their feedback has been very positive. As non Cabinet members are only very rarely allowed to speak at Cabinet meetings and then only if PB thinks the views expressed will be in accordance with is, I fail to see how having the public speak would give an opportunity to try and trip the Conservatives up. You appear to be presuming only non Conservative residents would ask questions.

You do live in very 'enclosed' little world don't you, where everyone communicates by email and would feel confident at knowing how to submit a Freedom of Information request. Surely it is more sensible for them to be able to question the relevant portfolio holder about any issues they have concerning the borough. I have seen Peter Britcliffe face hostile questioning, when he turned up at a Church and Milnshaw Area Council, because he didn't like the questions he was asked he told the residents present that they were rude. Definitely the way to win friends and influence people.

Surely debate is good, if it is stifled (as in most cases it is at meetings of Hyndburn Cabinet) then it becomes a dictatorship. In the case of the current Leader of the Council (who is a control freak) a Fascist dictatorship.

Last edited by claytonender; 13-02-2009 at 19:43.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote