View Single Post
Old 14-02-2009, 17:43   #38
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Does anyone remember in ossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The one at the bottom of Fielding lane was never a coop, I lived nearby on Hornby St (as did your dad and family) - it was a privately owned grocery
I've had to phone my Ma up for confirmation that there was a Co-op on Catlow Hall Street, and she said there definitely was. She used to push me in there in my pram, and once took back some spuds back because they were bad, and was given a refund by the bald headed manager.

She also remembers getting Co-op stamps in there. It was on the opposite corner to where the chippy is, attached to what's now the garage, and they now make conveyer belts in there.

Incidentally what's now the garage used to be Continental Bakers, and before that it was the Co-op bakery.

Other small Co-ops in Ossy were over the West End, up New Lane, over on Harvey Street, and the one up Stanhill, which is now the first house up after the James Hagreaves memorial gardens.

I also had to listen about what became my Dad's old disco being the old Co-op shoe shop, across the road being the Co-op hardware shop, managed by Tony Perkin's mum. As well as the grocers, tailors, furniture store and butchers, and the function room, which were all part of the main Co-op building.

I deserve a 'divvy' for having to listen to all that.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote