View Single Post
Old 13-03-2009, 20:57   #114
Neil
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: I'd rather this was in anything goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Whilst £67,000 seems like a lot of money, it really doesn't do an awful lot compared to the £1.6m that the park really needs to completely regenerate it...................The paths in Rhyddings are dangerous at the moment, doing them is long over due.
I know this is off thread but it is that sort of thread anyway so what the hell.

The estimates taken from the original lottery bid to drain the footpaths and field would barely be covered by this money. To resurface all the paths in the park while the drainage is being done would cost well over £250,000. These are massive sums of money that we could only have hoped to receive from a lottery grant. At the last friends meeting we put together a top ten hit list of works we need to do in the park. The top of the list is drainage and paths. The drainage has been a problem in the park for as long as most people can remember so its nothing we can blame on any recent Tory or Labour Councils.

As a group we are very pleased that the Council have committed themselves to begin improvement works on a park that has been neglected for many years. Two lottery bids have hampered improvement work in the park for almost the last 15 years. I can, to a point, understand why the Council would not want to spend large sums of money in a park they were hoping to receive a grant for. Unfortunately this has led to little improvement work being done in the park. About 6 years ago a new children's play area was installed in the park and several others in Hyndburn. I can't think of any improvement work in the park since that except for that The Friends of Rhyddings Park have been involved with. Yes we have had money from Hyndburn and Lancashire but only relatively small amounts.

The Friends are now working with HBC to try and address the concerns that local people have with their park. This is a big step forward and I hope it is only the first stage of many.

Sorry to prattle on but several of us are working hard and put many hours of our own time into improving the park to make it a better place for everyone. Only this evening I was telling the local Cub leader that the 1000's of daffs that the cubs planted are doing well and should be flowering soon.