View Single Post
Old 16-03-2009, 18:44   #36
shakermaker
God Member

Re: Bet Bagpuss is legless this afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
You are judging referees by your own standards.

The top referees have got to be top referees because they do the job properly and to the best of their ability and are not swayed by the occasion. To imply otherwise, especially when you are not a referee, is to cast a slur on their integrity.

My opinion on the issue of fairness (or lack of it) at Old Trafford stems from the trends of statistics set by the referees. There is an irrefutable trend that shows how decisions are more likely to go in favour of Manchester United when they play at home. You suggest that this phenomena is down to the attitude of the opposition team and their subsequent behaviour, and I see absolutely zero logic in that. Take Pedro Mendes' goal for Tottenham that Mark Clattenburg disallowed even though it was a yard behind the goal line. How was that anything but a humongous error from the referee in favour of Manchester United? This is not an isolated incident as you know.
Considering the wealth of similar examples, I can't think of another explanation for the trend except the high probability of referees bucking under the pressure of the big games.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote