View Single Post
Old 17-03-2009, 12:26   #54
shakermaker
God Member

Re: Bet Bagpuss is legless this afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
You, on the terraces, might see the defender tug at the opposing player’s shirt but if the ref’s view is obscured by one of the players involved and he cannot see it, he cannot blow for a foul.
Referees are trained to be in the right place at the right time. Their decisions shouldn't be under debate because of a restricted view. Most of the time they are in the right position. This point about the referee's view and subsequent decisions being impossible to judge is unacceptable. There has been a multitude of mistakes made by the referee from a perfectly good position, which the TV camera can, and DOES pick up!

I spot a dead end there. I know... riddle me this...

How does a referee's assessor mark the performance of the man in black? He watches the game through... you guessed it... a TV monitor. If camera angles are so darn useless, and offer us no true perception of how right or wrong referees' individual decisions are, then why on earth do the FA use this method to keep on top of their employees on the field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
One day it may show the whole incident in real time from a different angle. But that day is not here yet.
I must have been travelling intime the past few weekends, just about the time Match of the Day comes on. Just this weekend gone, a camera angle was manipulated in to a CG replay and the sequence was replayed through the angle of the linesman. It's clever, but simple, and only about as futuristic as Space 1999.

All of this is bordering on the academic.

I have not argued that referees are crooked. It is only my opinion that the refs buck under pressure of big games. God knows what goes on. But there is a trend at Old Trafford that sees Manchester United more likely to see decisions go their way. The hard facts of the amount of free kicks, penalties and cards given against United at Old Trafford create that trend. It is certainly not a myth.

Last edited by shakermaker; 17-03-2009 at 12:29.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote