View Single Post
Old 17-03-2009, 17:09   #57
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Bet Bagpuss is legless this afternoon

Training a referee to be in the right place at the right time is no guarantee that he will be shakermaker. But who is to decide which is the right place? There are 22 other people on the pitch and any one could block his view at any time. Indeed I could argue that some players could be doing this deliberately. Then there is the long ball up field. Only Superman could keep up with that and refs are not superman.

“How does a referee's assessor mark the performance of the man in black? He watches the game through... you guessed it... a TV monitor.” Does he?

The TV cameras follow the action and the action is where the ball is. The cameras do not follow the referee so to rely purely on the TV to assess a ref’s performance is wrong. In fact the assessor will watch the match and turn to the TV if required. Next time that you watch a match on telly try and take note how often you see the referee in shot.

Some cameras do take a broader view for the purpose of analysis after the match and replays.

Professional referees do a difficult job to the best of their ability and to suggest that someone with over 10 years experience at the top will buckle from fan or player power, is casting a major slur on the ref.

On the very few occasions that I have seen the CG it has always been a snapshot in time and not a period of motion. And that makes it inconclusive.

The only bias here churchman phil is from those who continue to perpetrate the myth that Man U are favoured by the ref at Old Trafford.