View Single Post
Old 19-03-2009, 23:55   #128
Eric
God Member

Re: Multiculteral Britain - A No,No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
In answer to your question , dont believe there is a common rule in the EU about nationality being automatic to your place of birth , Each EU country still applies its own rules , know for a fact that a children born to Turkish (non-citizen German) parents in Germany are classed as Turkish (no automatic German Passport) .
Also a child born in the US to Irish immigrant parents (green card holders, but not yet citizens) automatically gets a US passport but also qualifies for an Irish passport.

Like the old saying , Just because the cat has kittens in the oven , don't make them biscuits"
Interesting ... hadn't given it much thought; but it does make sense that each country sets its own rules ... but I did check it out with a legally inclined friend of mine, and, sure enough, any child born in Canada is Canadian. There seems to be some quibble tho' about dual citizenship ...

Like the saying by the way .... reminds me of that brilliant retort to one of Sarah Palin's blunders: "just because I can see the moon from my backyard etc."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote