View Single Post
Old 22-03-2009, 22:07   #136
Roy
Administrator

Re: Multiculteral Britain - A No,No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
a quick thought.
alot of brits have gone to places such as saudi and dubai to make ALOT of money. there's no denying alot of brits have got very very rich from workin in arab countries.
those arab countries flex their own laws, turn a blind eye just so that those brits can feel a lil more comfy. they allow alcohol to be consumed in public where normally it'd be hands chopped off. they give leeway and a certain flex to accomodate the foriegners.
should those brits do the whole when in rome too?
Having worked in Saudi(Jeddah to be precise) I feel I can comment here... Alchohol is still very much not allowed in public, or in private. If you get caught drunk its 50 public lashings, if your lucky. Foreigners working there generally keep themselves to themselves and stick together in private communities, which are heavily guarded. Bibles are not allowed, and I got hassle on entry to the country one time just because my middle name is Christopher!? If your a foreigner and involved in a car crash it is immediately your fault, because if you hadn't have been there then the local would not have been in an accident. Anyone who has had any dealings with the Commission For The Promotion Of Virtue And Prevention Of Vice in Saudi will know you don't mess with the laws of this country.
So I can safely say that when I was in Saudi I did not act like I do when I am in a 'normal' country. I was completely not myself, as I had no choice in the matter at all.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web