View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 16:23   #46
MCR ADIM
Senior Member+

Re: Sky news players charged bury game

I do not think we can suspend the players for rest of the season! Like someone else said when grant and bavs who go on trail in June/July i think got charged with it! The club did not do anything until they have been proven guilty or not guilty and thats the way to go! But this is from the bury forum
Know where you're coming from shakersince92, except it was common knowledge in the WEEK before the game. Hence the change of Ref, and the fact that all betting on the game was stopped a few days earlier.

The reason given at the time was they thought some of the AS were going to be at a stag do and so they were not likely to be very interested (I thought the stag do was to be after the game and a number of AS players were going to pull out causing them to field a weakened side, BEFORE the Bookies/FA got wind of it)

Their lack of interest/non attendance plus Bury's recent good away form (at the time) and the biggest point which everyone is overlooking, is that the Bookies had actually got their initial odds wrong! caused the betting interest in the game

The scale of the betting alerted the bookies who then alerted the FA, who I feel pretty sure would have spoken to both AS and Bury prior to the game and before they changed the Ref. There are reports that the FA had people at the ground to monitor proceedings and report back, presumably done with the full co-operation of AS in the main, but also with Bury.

Its quite feasible the bookies, in particular, had an idea who was behind the betting and reported it back to the FA. Looking at the way the charges are framed and that neither AS or Bury as clubs (other as than their employers) are mentioned points to the fact it is the players who the FA are really interested in.

In the 60s betting scandal (albeit slightly different) neither Sheff Wed nor Ipswich Town were in any way reprimanded

I dont think there is any need to read any more into the 'no comment' statements by AS or us, the matter is still 'sub judice' and as such any comment could be perceived to have a detrimental affect (either way) on the final outcome and any punishments should there be any

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web