View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 10:33   #17
jaysay
Resting in Peace

Re: Obesity and diet pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsusie View Post
Thing is ..
Just telling someone with an obesity issue to 'Just don't eat it!' is unrealistic isn't it? and dismissive
If it was that easy, thats exactly what they would do.
Its a bit like telling an alcoholic to 'Just stop tipping it in yer mouth'
Doesnt work.

The intended use of the 'diet pills' is to teach you to stop eating fatty foods by creating a bowel havoc when you do...eek! Not nice. or to teach you to make smaller portions.
They aren't intended for long term use.
If someone loses a few pounds In certain they will be motivated to carry that on, feel more self confident about doing exercise etc...

As for buying them over the counter I do think we forget that every adult has personal responsibility and needs to be accountable for their decisions be it a personal purchase or a px they make an appointment to see a professional persona about then ask for and choose to collect
Just stop tipping it in yer mouth is spot on Susie, theres a lot to th statement "You Are What You Eat". like Margaret P I have my five a day everyday, but my problem is I can't exercise, its rather hard work with oxygen cannulas stuck up your nose ever day. I do eat quite sensibly really, my only problem is I like a glass of vino collapso, only in moderation you understand, no more that 3 or 4 bottles a week, mind you that's a lot Bette than 10 pints a night in my younger days Even so I am not that much over weight, even though I take some drugs which don't help