View Single Post
Old 14-04-2009, 10:36   #4
emzy
Senior Member+

Re: why are there more people with allergies today

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Seen an item on TV this morning which said that there are more and more people suffering with allergies these days, some people with multi-allergies, why do you think this is. My own thoughts are that when kids are growing up these days they are no longer come into contact with germs and diseases like the olden days, we used to build up resistance to lots of elements by coming into contact with them. I also think that modern living and modern foods also add to this, there was very few houses with central heat and fitted carpets (although a lot of people are turning to wooden floors again) what do you think
I agree with you, some children are kept in too "sterile" an environment these days. I do not have any allergies (that I am aware of, and after 27 years am sure that it would have been noticed by now if i was) I have not yet noticed any allergies with the boys (my house isnt dirty but at the moment they are outside looking for snails and worms ) The're dad on the other hand has many many allergies and I was warned that some of these may be passed on but luckily as yet theres no signs of anything (his mum always kept the house absolutely spotless). I think a bit of muck does them no harm and will build up their immune system as they are being introduced to "germs" which they need to build up a tollerence to them (if that makes sense lol)
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote