View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 17:20   #209
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Bet Bagpuss is legless this afternoon

I’m a bit surprised that there have been no comments either good or bad on United’s resurgence to lead the Premier League and booking their place in the Champion’s Final.

I wish the real reds all the best in their quest of four trophies in one season.

Much has been said today about the Fletcher sending off, with comments of variations on “it was a fair tackle, the ball deviated etc.”

But all the pundits and commentators have missed the major point. And that is that the referee can only adjudicate on what he sees.

One view from behind the referee showed precisely what the referee saw. He saw Fletcher bring down the Arsenal player in the penalty area and as the last defender he was quite rightly shown the red card. The ref also saw the ball shoot off to the side but he didn’t see the reason for it doing so. In other words he didn’t see who kicked it sideways.

The ref did not see the numerous replays from other angles like we all did and people are judging on those views and not what the ref saw. We saw that Fletcher did kick the ball away before bringing down the forward. Did anyone see Fletcher tug at the player’s shirt a split second before lunging for the ball?

What is wrong is that UEFA will only rescind a red card if there is a case of mistaken identity. There should be a ruling to allow a red or yellow card to be rescinded after viewing video evidence if the evidence clearly shows that the referee made a mistake.

In the Fletcher incident no amount of video evidence would get him off, because of the shirt tug.