View Single Post
Old 18-06-2009, 01:25   #30
Veronica313

Re: What a small world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Gobbiner View Post
Went for a look up around Lake Heights as well...

Picture 1 - Len, this is were the old Hostel "Karingal" used to be, as you can see it is has now been redeveloped and used for soccer. Is 'Karingal" the one you stayed at? The other two hostels were located in Berkeley somewhere around where Sussex St is now and the other in Fairy Meadow which is now also a soccer ground... My Uncle and Aunt stayed at the one in Fairy Meadow back around 1950 or so... I mentioned in a previous post that my family came out in 1956 in fact it was 1954 on the 10th March, 50 years anniversary a couple of days ago.. I wouldn't of known if my sister hadn't of emailed me about it!
I used PSP to join two photos together to give it a wider view...

Picture 2 - Is taken from the top of Lake Heights Road off Flagstaff Road looking down.
Hi I hope you dont mind but I notice that you stayed on Karingal Hostel would that have been during 1971 by any chance, I have been trying to find a very good friend I knew on Fairy Meadow Hostel his name was Jon Loiz he was 21 yrs at the time a very good gymnast and artist he moved to Karingal in 1971 whilst working for the Steelworks, I have been looking for this guy for 39 years and if you have any recollection of him I would be so greatful as I am trying to track him down I believe he was Austrian not sure if I have the correct surname. I used to live in Wollongong but have lived on Gold Coast for 15 years hope you can help or no anyone that can much appreciated Jeanette
Veronica313 is offline   Reply With Quote