Thread: r. biggs.
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 07:50   #45
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: r. biggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i dispute the second paragraph, as i remember everyone was "Shocked" at the time at the time dished out by the judge, at least everyone wi any commonsense, so how they knew or expected em is beyond me.
In 1961 Gordon Lonsdale, in a high profile trial, was sentenced to a term of 25 years in prison, for plotting to pass on secrets to the Russians.

For executing what was then the biggest robbery in British history, I suppose a sentence of thirty years was a risk they took, when they decided to go ahead with this audacious crime.

If he'd have done his time, and shown any remorse, Biggs could have been a free man since the mid seventies, as no one served longer than ten years for the crime.

His choice.

Very often those attracted to a 'career' in crime chose the easiest route in life, rather than knuckling down and working hard for a living, like the vast majority of law abiding members of society.

He's certainly not some sort of folk hero to me. He wasn't playing Robin Hood, who was stealing to support a load of poor orphans. He was in it for himself, because he thought it was easier than working legally.

His choice.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote