View Single Post
Old 13-11-2009, 01:17   #11
Eric
God Member

Re: Our 'special' relationship with the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
I'm thinking that maybe the US is using a carrot and stick approach to UK - US relations , going back to the Falklands , its doubtfull if the UK would have been successful without US help (stuff that never made the UK press) , I'm sure that if the Argentinians were to start making noises again about the 'Malvinas' such American help might not be as readily available again , and I dont suppose any British Govt. would stand a snowballs chance in hell of staying in power if they lost the Falklands .
Indeed ... the Verdun of the South Atlantic. When you say that it is "doubtfull if the UK would have been successful without US help" you are, no doubt, correct. But that's almost like saying that "allies" of the US only wage war with their permission. (I sometimes have my doubts about the Israelis; but there is a good chance it is the same with them too.) This is why people drag out the term "yanks" ... you guys are, militarily, just too damn powerful ... this doesn't engender trust and love in even your closest "allies."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote