View Single Post
Old 28-12-2009, 22:35   #64
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: The area I grew up in. Woodnook

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
regarding the woodnook area maybe some onecan recall a family that lived on belfield road called jackson they are long lost relatives of mine lost touch with them years ago when my uncle herbert died he was a miner at huncoat pit his wife my auntie died not long after, my uncle was a very good dart player and played in the accrington club and pub league for the central working men club in the forties and fifties period When he died he left two children brian and joan as regards brian the only thing I remember was he had a bad motor cycle accident and was in hospital for a very long time but slowly got better and went on to get a good job away from accrington his sister my cousin joan was married to a motor mechanic who lost his life in a burnley road garage fire in the the fifties they had not been married long use to see her the odd time in accrington but lost touch when we moved to morecambe maybe some one can remember them would like to find out how there getting on

I attended that fire, it was at White's Garage Burnley Rd, on Friday Feb 8th 1963 at 1508 hrs Fred Clarke & Edwin Davies were working in the inspection pit on the fuel tank of a Ford Cortina, we put the fire out quite quickly, but it was some time before we could get Fred's body out, the police and the coroner had to inspect the area first. Edwin who managed to get out, died later in hospital. There as an infra red heater fitted in the inspection pit and a portable parrafin heater.
The inquest was held on Monday March 11th 1963

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote