View Single Post
Old 17-01-2010, 17:12   #14
Eric
God Member

Re: How to lose allies ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Hi there Steeljack, I stand by what I've said, you do tend to get wrapped up in yourselves, and don't see the wood for the trees, but I'll give you the points above, there are others I know, but on the beaches of Normandy you weren't alone, the Brits were also there.

British Navy vessels have also played an important role in various operations but we don't have the size of ships you do but we dig in and crack on. Even as I write this our lads are fighting and dying alongside your Lads in Afghan.

I personally worked alongside some of your soldiers back in the late eighties early nineties, that is where I formed my opinions, we were on the same side but couldn't work together because everything was shrouded in secrecy we informed them of our doings so they could get an overview of how it would work, but you wouldn't tell us.

But what really set it apart was the cases of friendly fire, Gulf War 1991, RRF(Royal Regt Fusiliers) lads from my part of the world gone to school with, gone to the footy together, they had one of your Phsy Ops teams assigned so there was a liaison point between the US & UK. A Pair of American fighters chewed up 2 of their Warriors and the lads inside. Oh you asked permission right enough but only of your own command didn't think to ask the Brits, and on top of that if your pilots had paid more attention at AFV recognition, than looking cool the only AFV with that silhouette was the British Warrior.

So maybe you can understand why I have the viewpoint I do.
As usual, Juno Beach seems to have been forgotten
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote