View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 20:29   #10
steeljack
God Member

Re: Selective Licensing of Landlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I don't know, affordable housing is apparently difficult to come by as it is in UK so we're led to believe, won't this just inflame the problem ? If the Landlords/property leasers have to pay 500 Quid every five years (for renewal, or am I reading it wrong ?) It's not hard to guess where they'll be getting their money back from is it !

Added to that because they're Council authorised this appears to be "Carte Blanche" for the underhanded ones to demand ridiculous rents as the people looking to rent have nowhere else to turn to for housing, as only Landlords with the required paperwork (from the Council) are available to prospective Tenants.

It appears to be a fly by night grab a quick "Buck" enterprise to me! All the safety aspects are good but who's paying & who's gaining from the checks will they be independents local firms or Council subsidiaries/sponsored ? I'm sorry but it seems as though the Council are trying to fill their Coffers via officialdom. Remember I'm an outsider looking in & that's how it looks from here.
Good point there , seems this could backfire , seem to remember reading lots of stories about various London Borough Councils paying thousands of £s in rents to private landlords because that "is the going rate" for the area and no 'council' homes are available , does HBC have any contracts with private landlords to provide social housing .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote