View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 14:57   #99
Taggy
Senior Member+

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

I think the Market Hall certainly looks a lot cleaner and fresher, but i think much of this could have been achieved at considerably less expense. I dont think there will be such a significant increase in footfall, to justify the level of money that has been spent.

I assume the Council will have done a study of this...so would be interested to know what their figures say the increased footfall maybe, matched against what it was?

I agree with Margaret, that there should not have been a large area at the Market Front left open for Exhibitions/Arts etc, plenty of room outside the Market Hall for that. It just does not look right...or particularily welcoming...it looks like we couldn't fill it with enough traders!

Maybe the area upstairs on the opposite side of the New Cafe could have been reserved for that. Because i also feel that in the long run, most of the upstairs will prove to be a White Elephant and will remain under occupied. Its not an area thats obvious to a lot of people, and access around is not good. OK you have a lift to get you up and down, but there's no space for 2 people with Prams or Wheelchairs to pass each other, so people with those just wont bother going up there.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote