Thread: Bletchley park
View Single Post
Old 21-07-2010, 06:35   #7
Mellitus
Junior Member+

Re: Bletchley park

Additional information re Leo Hughes.
He was a Benedictine monk and was at Buckfast Abbey under Brother Adam (?)- a world expert on bee keeping. He may have gone to a monastery in Germany - he lost his calling and came out of the order. He volunteered for the war(which seems odd). He went to Sandhurst and took an exam - became an Officer I have a very detailed typewritten 'diary' of his time in France and Belgium from Jan - end May 1939 including a black and white map- e.g ' 17th May -Orders to be ready for withdrawal. Bn. crossed with 5th Manch.R. and became split in two. Half under C.O. arrived at Bouvignes. Half under 2 i/c arrived at Flines (15km northwest of Douiai) Btn detached from 42nd Div and attached to Macforce...' 21st May.....'Grusson...Tressin-Asoq area.. pill boxes locked... occupied abandoned house and fed section from the fresh food and vegetables left behind. C.O. came in daily to listen to BBC 1 o'clock news , which was not much help to us. C.O. seemed slightly envious of the good dinners we were able to make...' There is very detailed info up to being on Bray dunes (La Panne) for evacuation- 130 casualties to the Btn Fri 1st Jun .

This detailed account seems at odds to absolutely NO records of his time at Bletchley park. I thought he didn't talk about the war because of some of the atrocities he must have witnessed.
Mellitus is offline   Reply With Quote