View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 17:54   #139
SPUGGIE J
God Member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
It was funded by central government from general taxation. The Council did not fund the renovation. The Council's first option was to sell the market off which drew must interest but no bidders because the accounts were a (profitable) mess.

My view was then and is now that the private sector be brought in with markets expertise. When the two year sell off failed that became the Council's preferred option.

At that stage opposition Councillors were removed from the project and the detail of the refurbishment and the business was totally in the hands of two people. Councillors Haworth and Britcliffe.

Whilst the private sector avenue was the best option, the way the Council has handled it is poor. Bully boy tactics on traders, lack of consultation, new imposed contracts that have left many stalls empty, food establishments in the wrong place.

It is currently losing around £150,000 - £200,000 pa less than it should be making. It is probably making around £50,000-£100,000 profit (though the accounts are still a mess). The failure to maximise income in the market will cost the Council tax 4% of Council Tax revenue which will have to paid for by Council Tax payers. It is affecting everyone.

If the markets problems (with traders / contracts / opening hours / food concessions) it could turn into a major problem quickly.

Little thought has been given to the money and ideas the Council have been given.
Graham I am no expert but based on what you have put the market and market hall will be lucky to survive another 3 years.

It also comes across that Mssrs Howarth and Britcliffe didnt want it in the hands of a private expert/experts as then they would have control. Because of what I would class as incompetence arrogance and glory hunting the town could end up with a white elephant.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote