View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 11:51   #282
Gayle
God Member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Please get your facts right before dragging the Civic Arts Centre into this.

For a start it was not the Civic Theatre that was due to be officially launched, it was the newly refurbished Civic Arts Centre.

The original date was the 12th not the 4th and the official launch event has been postponed - not cancelled.

The Centre is very much Open and there was an Open Day on the 22nd August. The Centre is up and running and very much open, please don't go round saying that the opening has cancelled as that implies that we're not operational and we are.

The official launch event was POSTPONED because there are three big projects happening in the run up to the event (two already happened) and the third next week. The Board and I decided that we didn't have time to do the Official Launch Event the justice it deserved so have bought our selves more time. Plus, some of the board were unable to attend the date of the 12th, so the Board of the Arts Centre made the decision to POSTPONE the event.

Peter Britcliffe will undoubtedly be a huge part of the rearranged Official Launch event (and was always intended to be) as it was he that has championed this project from day one and it's in his ward. Don't forget, the Labour Party opposed this project and voted against the capital expenditure.
I just want to make a public apology about this post. I shouldn't have added the final line - what do they say, 'act in haste, repent at leisure' I may be paraphrasing.

I regret saying that Labour opposed the project as it's not strictly true. They did vote against it at the council meeting but they had their reasons for that. The truth is that many of the Labour group were very supportive of the project from day one. It was always included in Labour's budgets and some members were very keen to see it go ahead.

I don't want to get caught between a very public 'rock and a hard place' so it will be much better if I bow out now.

Apologies to anyone that I have offended.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote