View Single Post
Old 26-10-2010, 15:57   #89
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: The value of public funded art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
My point about 'worthwhile' jobs which you have chosen to misinterpret, was that ALL jobs are worthwhile if they contribute to society.

Garinda brought up the point about getting a 'worthwhile' job. I responded to that by discussing what was considered a 'worthwhile' job. I clearly stated that they all were.
Thank you.

I'm sure it will now be a little easier for Joe and Josephine Bloggs to evaluate the worth of such community art projects, now we know what percentages were funded by the players of the Lotto, and what percentage was funded by the tax payer.

Perhaps, in the interest of fairness, we could now be informed what the actual costs were, and what funds each of the local projects received. Since we now have a thread, specifically to discuss 'the value of public funded art'.

I didn't choose to misinterpret anything. I was merely trying to qualify the three trades you chose to give as examples, and which raised more than my own eyebrows.

I stand by my original comment. If, after years of state funding to study art, people can't find anyone to fund their works commercially, perhaps they need to rethink, and maybe ponder another career option, rather than rely on state funded grants, which are in turn are funded by the hard working tax payer.

If they truly believe they have a talent, and no one wants their skills, they could always continue to work in some freezing garratt. If they starve it's their own decision, to suffer for art.

I'm sure lots of people will be interested to read just how much each project, the map, crocheting, and film cost, when trying to decide whether these things are 'worthwhile'.

Unless it's a secret.

Last edited by garinda; 26-10-2010 at 15:59.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote