View Single Post
Old 26-10-2010, 22:18   #107
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: The value of public funded art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
That's an absolutely insane connection - no one, the government nor I, for one minute has suggested that wool sculptures are more important than this young girls life.

But if you do want to make connections about injustices in the NHS - what about the money that they spend fixing broken bones of all the drunks that go in there after a fight on a Saturday night, or what about the injustices of the amount that the NHS have to spend on smoking related illnesses or obesity.

If they didn't have to fund all of that, then perhaps the money would be there to save the girls life.

As I've stated repeatedly, if community art projects are soley funded from the profits that are earmarked for 'worthy causes', from private companies like Camelot, then I have absolutely no complaint. People have the choice not to play, if they so wish.

However, when life saving health care is being witheld from a toddler, due to lack of funds, and tax payers' hard earned money is being spent on projects like Crocheting Accy, then there is a very real correlation between the two items, as they are both reliant on funds from the public purse.

If people want to create knitted sculptures, there are plenty of places where they can go and pay to carry out their hobby.

It should NOT be funded by the tax payer.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote