View Single Post
Old 27-10-2010, 09:07   #109
Gayle
God Member

Re: The value of public funded art

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Again, as posted earlier, when I first mentioned the crocheting project in the Market Hall, when told about it by some stall holders, whilst shopping in there, incidentally if Rachael Elwell had integrated herself more with the community in the building, the stall holders mightn't have been so disparaging about the project, and spreading misinformation as to who was funding it, I had honestly no knowledge Gayle was involved.

She'd posted her salary and job title, that as creative director of the Civic arts centre in Oswaldtwistle.

That's all I knew.

It would be interesting to know if, and how, that role might have changed.

Again forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe Gayle once posted that she takes a fee when securing Lottery funding, which is common practice for professional fund seekers, as I'm sure it takes a lot of time and effort, but it would be interesting to know how this co-exists with her job as creative director of the arts centre, and if she's now responsible for all arts projects in the borough.

I believe the job was never advertised, as far as I know, or what suitable qualifications would be deemed necessary if it had been. A degree in arts management I'd have thought, at the very least.

I certainly didn't see it advertised in Monday's Guardian.

Anymore information, to set the record straight, I'm sure we'd all find most illuminating.

As for crochet, do I think it has the slightest artistic merit?

No.

Do I think it was a good use of tax payers' money?

Certainly not.

I've already posted what I get paid from HBC. Technically I only work part time for HBC but in reality it's a full time job so at the moment I'm not doing any projects outside of my core work for HBC.

As I am the only person working for HBC who is managing arts projects then yes, I am responsible for arts development across the borough.

Yes, I posted that I get paid for securing lottery funding however, I do not get paid any extra when that lottery funding is part of my core work for HBC. So, for example I'm also working on a couple of projects that are connected to the Cultural Olympics - I got those projects as part of my core work and therefore, don't get paid again for them.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote