View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 18:51   #54
Gordon Booth
Senior Member+

Re: Legalise "Illegal" Drugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Tobacco is the bad one ... five and a half hours of surgery 4 years ago Surgery I wouldn't have needed if I hadn't been a smoker.

Perhaps, as some have been suggesting by bringing in the "common sense" argument, it is not the drug that is so much the problem as the people involved with it. Maybe it's not so much common sense as it is self-control, and an awareness of what one is getting into, and where it could lead.

Alcohol is legal because the govt. makes a shltload of money out of it. Same with smokes. If they could come up with a sure fire way of making money off weed, they would be in there like a dirty shirt.
I know someone(a heavy smoker) who could say 'I want a new camera,I'm stopping smoking to save up'.It never bothered him, when he got the camera he started again.I hated him, every time I tried it drove me mad.
I think some people are vunerable to certain addictions, certain drugs-alcohol and tobacco for a start. If you make even more drugs legal, common sense and self control won't always work- you'll have more and more people addicted to more and more drugs.
As for the 'load of money'-rest assured some cynical so and so in Government or the civil service has already thought of it-'if fools will pay £6 for a bit of tobacco,how much could we raise on weed?'.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote