Thread: Street Names
View Single Post
Old 16-12-2010, 17:26   #109
Bob Dobson
Senior Member+

Re: Street Names

I think that Lydia Becker appeared on the scene too late to be a nominee for a street name, and her connection with Accrington was not well known.

Retlaw is right - I am guessing. At this time, there is no way of proving the reason for a street name, but I think there is a pattern or method to the namings, and there is often no other explanation.
He is right too in that they were often named 20yrs before the setts went down or the houses built. If hargreaves had known in advance that John carter would be leaving Accrington under a cloud ( of misusing monies given him for a purpose and putting it to his private purposres), I doubt that he would have 'honoured' him with a street name.
He is right too in that some proposed street names either got changed or not used. Amongst them was Highfield St, which woud have been built near the top of Lydia St, Woodnook near to where (Mayor) Eli Higham's house 'Highfield' is. Maybe there's a connection between HIGHam and HIGHfield.

Is Tealeaf quoting something, or writing it himself? If a quote, I'd like to know where it is from. It has the ring of authenticity about it.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote