View Single Post
Old 13-02-2011, 18:36   #84
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
This is not quite true, Margaret, paradoxically, it is working the other way. Thos. Cook are doing extremely well with their bookings of people wishing to get away from these celebrations, which more than makes up for their cancelled bookings to Tunisia and Egypt.

Perhaps we should have let people who are so concerned about councils spending money on such events, vote to work that day then .. would have been more of a statement.

That's not very gentlemanly, Garinda ... bringing that up ... I did do a U-turn on my prattish remark and apologised publicly.

That 'eyes to heaven' emoticon should not be aimed at me. I did not express a view that, whichever way people voted, they should explain themselves.

As I am in the middle of composing a 15,000 words reply (ok exaggeration), I may consider posting it later, however, knowing that it will be subject to heavy criticism, analysis of every word and general insults I may back down.

Seems to me though, there are a couple of issues going on in the minds of people who have voted 'No', not just the economy .. just the ones that dislike the monarchy anyway, and would vote this way no matter what the question was. Also, a couple that I suspect is politically biased against our Conservative council.

For instance, even though I am not overly fond of football, I would still vote a yes to the Council backing up our Accrington Stanley, a minority pleasure for some, even in the face of this gloomy economy if they decided to do so.
In reply to my little bit, I did say I'd nerver say that, as I'm not that rude, or judgemental.

Since you're happy paying for this shebang, perhaps you and Neil, the only two happy locals, might want to contact the council, and tell them you two will pay for it all, happily splitting the difference.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote