View Single Post
Old 13-02-2011, 18:39   #85
katex
Resting in Peace

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well Kate, I can tell you now, that my 'NO' is purely from the point I have already made.......I do not dislike the Royal family, but have no wish to participate in the pseudo celebrations around the wedding(have never been much of a one for big celebrations myself...and those who know me will confirm this).....I have no political axe to grind either.
I just cannot see the point of wasting money that could be otherwise used to enhance our local standard of living.
Obviously you are one of the ones that voted irrespective of your thoughts on the Royal Family and just that money could be spent better elsewhere, so was not aimed at you.

Ok then, first point that grabs me on this is that we do not really know what budget is allowed for these celebrations. I speculate it will be a drop in the Ocean to the cuts that are being imposed on them. I don't quite know how the accounts are set out at HBC, but suspect will be coming out of some sort of Community Project's fund that covers things like art, flower towers, Christmas decorations .. anything that brightens up our surroundings. Would you wish this budget to be put back into the General Fund then, so that there will never be any 'cheer up' factors provided by our town ? The town will look lovely with flower displays and buntings in our national colours of Red, White and Blue .. people spend more in towns when they are feeling cheeria (is that a word ?),

There will be gains... the firework display, for instance, always brings plenty of people into town with their children and, providing the shops stay open will be of benefit. I don't see that the traders would object actually ... or the shop assistants, a chance to earn some overtime money; not easily available in this economic climate.

Again, not aimed at you Margaret .. just my initial thoughts on the financial side of it all.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote